Happy Birthday Mom!

 My Mothers birthday was May 10th and then a few days latter was mothers day. I feel so bad that I am doing this very special spotlight on my mom because I really wanted to do it all year! I started doing spotlights on my families birthdays last year for Billy's birthday May 31. That was right after moms birthday, and I felt bad because I knew it would be a whole year until I could spot light her. Well then it finally came and I can't believe I forgot.

Mom is awesome! She has taught me countless valuable lessons in my life.  She is very sensitive to the spirit and loves the gospel. Mom always seemed to really love her scripture study. That was a good example to me because when I was a teenager I didn't completely LOVE my scripture study, but I watched mom and knew that I wanted to be like her and be a good example of a mother who loves the word of God to my children
Mom is a good teacher. Whenever mom taught me to do something she always had ME do it. She would thread the sewing machine and show me how it was done. I hated threading it so  always wished that she would leave it done for me, but no, she would pull the thread out and have me do it. She taught me to darn a sock. She showed me a bit and had me do the rest. Mom had us cook one night in the week. She would help us but it was OUR night. We chose what to make and we put most of it together.

Mom has always showed that she has complete trust in each one of her children. Looking back this was HUGE for us! Mom knew that we could get a lot done and she really believed in us. She allowed us to try things for ourselves and learn from our own mistakes.

Mom has five kids:
Valerie

Lindsey
Emily


Billy
Hillary
She has 7 grad kids (Derick and Knoxx are not in this picture)

Mom was also very good at helping me to stay balanced. My sophomore year of high school I was very busy and I really really wanted to take up Ballet point lessons. Mom put her foot down and said "no" It was hard for me but I probable would have fallen apart if she had let me participate. 

Mom is a great singer. I loved hearing mom singing to my when I went to bed. She even sang "Dearest Children God is near you" to Hillary and I at night when we were in high school. Mom and Dad would always sing in the church choir and sometimes they sang nice duets in church. Mom sang the song "close to you" for my Dad's 50 CD that we made for him. When John Pickett, Lindsey's Husband, heard that song on the CD he told us and his friend that she sounded just like Karen Carpenter.

Mom's love language is words. She loves to write and receive letters. One of the greatest gifts she would give me were her letters. I often remember going into my room to find a letter from mom on my bed. It would ether be an encouraging letter or even one time she wrote down 10 of my qualities and talents that she loved about me. As a teenager that really lifted me up and gave me so much confidence.

I am so grateful for my sweet mother. I love you mom! Happy Birthday and mother's day.

Comments

Popular Posts